I came across a couple of photos of a dog sitting in a plastic bag and a cat with a bag of garbage in its mouth.
These photos, posted to the Dog-A-Lot Facebook page, had been shared a couple days earlier.
They were accompanied by the caption, “The cat is getting garbage.
The cats face is blank, while the dog’s is bright green.
The dog’s mouth is empty and the cat’s is full.
I asked a couple vets and experts in animal husbandries about the images and how they can best treat these conditions.
A vet from Mumbai, India, told Recode he thinks the cat is a parasite.
“It’s a parasite, a human-associated parasite, and we’re trying to eradicate it,” he said.
“We’ve tried everything we can to remove it.
We try to treat it by sterilizing, using drugs and using other things to get rid of the parasite.
But we haven’t succeeded.”
The cat has a very low fecal count, he said, and the dog has high fecal counts.
I called the veterinarian in Delhi, India’s capital, to find out if he had an opinion.
“I’ve not had any such experience.
I’ve never heard of any case like that.
I can’t imagine what it is,” he told me.
But he also said that he would be open to taking the dog to the vet if he were to find evidence of the cat.
“But I’d probably just send it to another vet.
It would be a waste of money,” he added.
The veterinarian I contacted in Mumbai did not have a response.
So, in an attempt to be more accurate, I called an animal husbandrick veterinarian in New Delhi.
I spoke with Dr. Vishnu Kumar, who specializes in animal medicine.
He also worked on the cat and dog photos and is a veterinarian in private practice.
“What I do believe is that this is a human disease.
It can’t be cured.
You need to treat [the disease] with proper treatment.
It’s like we’re treating it with antibiotics,” he explained.
I also asked him if he thinks that this type of parasite will ever be eradicated from the Indian population.
“Yes, I believe so.
But I think it will be more difficult to get eradication,” he replied.
I’m not certain how long it will take for the cat to become free of the dog.
But the cats DNA is pretty clear, he added, and it’s possible to test it.
“In a case like this, the cat has to be tested first.
The dogs will be tested as well,” he noted.
Dr. Kumar said that while it’s still too early to say for sure, there is some hope.
“The main thing is that we know the cats and dogs have different DNA profiles and different genes, and they are different species,” he stressed.
“So we can use that to determine which one is a true parasite.
That will give us a way of eradicating the parasite.”
What is a Human-Associated Parasite?
I asked Dr. Singh whether the parasite he was referring to is a type of parasitic protozoan that can be passed from one person to another.
“This type of protozoa is not harmful to humans.
It is very dangerous,” he responded.
“These parasites can grow and multiply in the intestines of humans and animals.
They can infect them and cause them problems.
So in a very small number of cases, humans and other animals can become infected.”
In a study published in the journal Parasitology in 2011, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco, reported finding that “infected animals are significantly more likely to develop human-induced gastroenteritis than uninfected animals.”
So the researchers thought that, like humans, some species of parasites, like worms and protozoon worms, can spread from animals to humans through contact with other animals.
But, Dr. Ramanan Krishnan, a researcher at the Center for Infectious Diseases at the University at Buffalo, New York, said that this parasite is not an animal-associated protozoo.
“Because it’s so small, it’s a single-celled organism that lives only in the small intestine,” he clarified.
“And because of this, it is difficult to transmit [from animals to people] because the bacteria inside the intestinal tract cannot produce the virus.
So when people get a parasite like this from an infected animal, it can be transmitted in many ways.
It could be through the air, it could be ingested, it might even be swallowed,” he continued.
“Now, the human body is very well designed for immunity.
It doesn’t have any defenses against infection, so it’s very difficult to spread it from one animal to another.”
So, why is this